My Omama’s Sauerkraut recipe
Sauerkraut was always at the table at my Hungarian grandparents' place. It wasn’t in a pretty glass jar but more the biggest ice-cream container filled with this pickled cabbage! Omama’s was just plain with salt and caraway seeds but I’ve made a little variation to it! I sometimes double this recipe too. Enjoy!
You will need:
- A big bowl
- A sharp knife and board or a mandolin slicer
- 1kg cabbage drum, sugarloaf or even purple!
- 1 carrot (I used this peeler that shreds it)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Chop/slice/shred your cabbage and carrot then add in the salt and turmeric. I used gloves now but you will want to massage these in your big bowl for about 5-10 mins. The more juice that comes out the better!
- Once all massaged, squash the cabbage mixture into your containers/jars.
- Leave a bit of room as water will come up and you want all of this water.
- After this if you can find something to put over the cabbage, I used plastic plates that I cut to size, a saucer would be great too depending on size of jar.
- Push it down and weigh it down with something. I filled glasses with water.
- Do not put you lid on here. Put these away in a dark place, I put mine out of the way in the pantry and leave for a 2-3 days. Try the water as the days go by until it gets to your desired taste.
- Pop in the fridge will last forever! You will see some of that water will absorb too!
I love this sauerkraut! I put it my toast with avo! great to add to any meal and so so good for your gut health!